The Constitution of the Unites States requires a full count of the population every ten years; starting in 1790 the Census Bureau has counted every resident of the United States. Previous censuses would request households to return their census forms by mail or census workers would visit neighborhoods to count remaining households. The 2020 Census plans to add an online response form to use modern and cost-efficient methods to count everyone once and in the right place.
Why It's Important
The data that will be collected by the 2020 Census are critical for states, counties and communities. Minnesota's State Demographer's office has outlined why the census is important and how it can impact Moorhead.
Activities for the 2020 Census are already underway in preparations for Census Day - April 1, 2020.
- March 12-20: You will receive an invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census (some households will also receive the paper questionnaire).
- March 16-24: A reminder letter to complete your census form will be sent.
- IF YOU HAVE NOT RESPONDED YET
March 26-April 3: A reminder postcard is sent.
April (IF YOU HAVE NOT RESPONDED)
- The official Census Day arrives on April 1, 2020, as residents are invited to complete the census form online, by mail, or over the phone.
- April 8-16: A reminder letter and paper questionnaire are sent to all households that have not responded.
- April 20-27: A final reminder postcard is sent to all households who have not responded, this is the final postcard distributed before the Census Bureau follows up in-person.
After Census Day
- Later in the month of April extending through August 2020, Census takers go door-to-door to collect information from residents who did not complete a census form using any of these methods.
Census Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Snowbird Information - If you live in Moorhead most of the time, but winter somewhere warm - fill out your 2020 Census form for your primary address in Minnesota.
- Coming Soon: Questionnaire Assistance Centers (QACs) - If you need access to technology or help filling out your 2020 Census form, Moorhead will identify QAC locations where you can get help.
- Didn't get a census letter? - You can still complete the census at www.my2020census.gov.
How To Get Involved
Moorhead has developed a Complete Count Committee (CCC) to help educate and reach all of our citizens. If you are interested in helping achieve a complete count, please let us know.
If you want to Commit to Be Counted in the 2020 Census, sign up to get involved! Please fill out the Commit to Be Counted online form facilitated by We Count Minnesota.
Census Job Opportunities
Census Jobs are available now and more will open in 2020.