The Moorhead Police Department is now accepting online applications for ATV permits. In order to see if your vehicle qualifies for a permit, read through the Moorhead City Ordinance for ATV’s and the Minnesota State Statute.
The permit is good for three calendar years and can be renewed at the beginning of the fourth year. (i.e. purchased on 11/1/2021, renew after 1/1/2024). Permit should be clearly displayed on the rear of the vehicle.
The cost of the permit is $30 and is valid for three (3) years. If you lose your permit and it needs to be replaced, there is a fee of $5.00.
Applications can be filled out and paid for online. If you want the permit to be mailed to your residence, there is a $2.00 service fee for this option. The cost of an ATV permit is prorated based on your DNR permit expiration date. This date will determine the cost of your ATV permit. This fee is automatically generated in our system once you submit your application and arrive at the payment screen. Complete the ATV Permit Application.
An application can be filled out and paid for in person at the Moorhead Police Department located at 911 11th St N. Bring your MN driver’s license and proof of insurance. Once the permit is approved, it will be mailed to your residence.
Restrictions and Procedures for obtaining a permit are as follows:
- Must present proof of registration at the time of application
- Must present proof of insurance
- Operators must be at least 16 years of age and have a valid driver’s license that would allow them to drive a motor vehicle in the State of Minnesota
- All occupants under the age of 18 must wear a helmet
- All occupants must wear seatbelts if provided by the manufacture
- All operators are required to use turn signals or hand signals
- All operators must use eyewear unless equipped with a windshield
- ATV must not be operated on trunk highways such as Hwy 10 and Hwy 75, as provided in Minnesota Statute Section 84.928, subd. 1(a)
- Required equipment: Rear view mirror; standard mufflers; brakes adequate to control movement; brake light, clear headlamps and tail lamps that are to be lit at all times
- No towing of people allowed
- May only carry the number of passengers for which the ATV is designed
- Permit must be clearly displayed on the rear of the vehicle